New Recipes You Should Try This Summer
Summer is the perfect season for remodeling, renewing and discovering. After being cooped up inside during the cold harsh winter, it’s refreshing to get outside and enjoy the extra sunshine, warmer temperatures and vibrant colours of a world being reborn.
Summer is also the perfect season for outdoor eating and entertaining. Preparing your patio, enjoying your backyard and using your granite countertop to attempt new recipes are all part of embracing summer.
In the spirit of summer, here are the some of the first recipes you should try this year. Most of the ingredients you should have in your pantry or cabinets.
Breakfast: Super-duper smoothie
You wake up, use the bathroom, get dressed and make your way downstairs for the most important meal of the day: breakfast.
A smoothie filled with yummy berries and other good stuff will put a summer in your step to as you start your day.
The best part? It’s incredibly easy to make.
- 1/2 big banana
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
What to do:
- Blend all the ingredients together in a mixer until desired consistency is reached
- Pour into a cup, glass or mug and enjoy
Lunch: Smoked ham and corn salad
No food is more associated with summer than salad. Natural ingredients harvested from the earth to your granite kitchen countertop. Tasty dressings to give it that a touch of flavour and the bright colours of a lush salad all combine to make salad the ideal lunchtime meal in summer.
- 1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 diced tomato
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup whole-grain croutons
- 4 ounces diced ham
What to do:
- Whisk the sour cream, paprika and salt in a big bowl
- Add the salad greens, tomato, corn, croutons and ham
- Toss the salad until it’s dressed
Dinner: White sauce pasta
Pasta is such a robust, hearty meal. Pasta is also surprisingly versatile.
While many people think of big, heaping bowls of pasta drowned in mouthwatering tomato sauce pulled from the kitchen cabinet (and justifiably so, it’s so good), pasta in white sauce is just as scrumptious.
- Boiled pasta (preferably penne)
- 1 tsp butter
- Chopped green pepper
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tsp flour
- Black pepper
- Chili flakes
What to do:
- Place butter in a pan and heat (don’t let it melt, though)
- Add the chopped pepper
- Cook until slightly soft and then add milk
- Slowly add the flour until the mixture is smooth (no lumps)
- On medium heat, stir the mix until the milk becomes thick
- Add the salt, black pepper and chili flakes to match your taste
- Add the boiled penne pasta
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then serve hot
Where you cook is as important as what you eat
Before you begin exploring new summertime recipes, you may want to give you kitchen a summertime spruce-up. Maybe you want to add a luxurious granite kitchen countertop.
Perhaps you’re interested in cabinet refacing. Or are you looking to undertake a complete kitchen remodeling project?
Whatever you’re looking to do in your kitchen, NuStone Transformations can help.
Simply contact us today for a free Oakville, Toronto or Mississauga in-home consultation.